One of the biggest reasons people join network marketing is because they hate their jobs. Their goal is to earn enough money so they can afford to leave their present employment. Will that give them financial security? Probably not.

For example, let’s say that John earns $2500 a month at his job, which just pays expenses for John and his family. While he is building his networking business, his part-time networking checks of $1000 per month represent extra income not required to cover personal overhead. This is unencumbered money. That extra $1000 a month could buy trips, nice cars and fun times; it could pay off debts, be saved for retirement or invested for financial security. Life is good with extra cash to spend as you like.

But what happens when John’s network marketing check reaches $2500 a month?

Let’s say John quits his job. Now his $2500 network marketing check has to pay the family’s basic expenses. There is no extra cash or fun money. The budget is tight. John sweats his sales volume every month, hoping his check won’t drop to $2300.

See the difference?

The successful networkers I know keep their jobs and invest their network marketing checks. After a few years, because of their investments, they are totally financially independent. Then—and only then—they quit their job. Now their investments pay the monthly expenses, while their networking checks create vacations and other fun activities. They’ve won the game of networking.

At a recent leadership event, I asked all the leaders to stand up, look around at the other leaders, and see how many of the other leaders were just like themselves. They couldn’t find anyone else like themselves.

The lesson? Don’t spend so much time trying to get people to be like you. Don’t spend so much time trying to teach people to act like you and do the same things that you do. It’s okay to have leaders who are not carbon copies of yourself. Allow them the freedom to conduct their business their way—and to choose what they consider “success,” what they consider having won the game of networking.

By my desk, you’ll see the words: “The ultimate intention is to make someone’s life better.”

For networking to work, you must make someone’s life better. What makes someone’s life better is usually different from person to person. A good 75 percent of our population is happiest with only a six-pack of beer and a half-tank of gas. For the other 25 percent, find out what would make their lives better…then help them do it.

When you’ve done that, you’ve won the game of networking.

ART JONAK is a Networking Univeristy faculty member,
a successful network marketing leader and widely respected trainer.